In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?
One time I ignored a rule that was meant to protect me was the time I went hiking with my family and there was a sign that said do not lean on the fence. The fence was meant to protect people not to fall down the rocks and land on cacti. I didn't follow the directions and ended up landing on the spikes, my family had to remove the spines individual from my arm and hand. I learned that sometimes warnings and rules are placed for a reason.
Summary: Today we read a story called "The Rock pile" by James Baldwin. It talked about the power dynamics of a family, how everyone was scared of the father. After a kid names Roy goes down the fire escape against his moms wishes, he gets hurt in a figh, a place called the rock pile. Once he comes home john the older brother has to bear the consequences of his little brothers actions and face the father. The father is an abusive man that takes control of the room hurting people verbally and physically.
Reflection: Im very glad that I have a healthy family dynamic and not anything like the one in the story. I would've expected the little brother to finally take some accountability for his actions, for him to get any for of character arc but in real life it is very unrealistic.
Comments
Post a Comment